This post is also available in: Gaeilge
“Parents are the child’s primary educators, and the life of the home is the most potent factor in his or her development during the primary school years”.
(Primary School Curriculum, 1999)
As you can see from the above, you can play a significant part in educating your child. You can do this best by:
- Encouraging your child to do his/her best – no more can be expected.
- Accepting your child’s strengths and weaknesses. Do not compare them with their brothers or sisters, or their classmates in school.
- Supporting the school. The support and co-operation of parents is vital in establishing a happy and productive school environment. Support school activities and fundraising.
- Supporting the teacher. Do not criticise the school or the teachers in front of your child. If you have a problem or query about something please call to see the teacher. Discussing problems with other parents at the school gate, very seldom solves them.
- Make sure your child is properly prepared coming to school. Ensure they have had breakfast, that homework is done, that they have all the books, copies, pencils, eraser, topper etc. needed.
See our list of useful resources for parents / guardians.